2015 ppl 2.6 rules

I guess the point I'm trying get across is when you put a big rear in someone will find a way to make more power then you will be breaking trans case

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
A Dana 80 is not limiting power on trucks. Not one puller I can think of is saying "ah we are cracking r&p every 5 hooks, let's take 200hp out of it" People are Just dealing with working on them and still making all the power they can.

We ran a nv4500&271 last year with a sqhd and a 3.0 hx60. Made 10-12 hooks without a break then blew a 1480 slip yoke in half and two hooks later grenaded the 271. After that we went on to a drop box and reveser.

A Dana 80 is not limiting power on trucks. Not one puller I can think of is saying "ah we are cracking r&p every 5 hooks, let's take 200hp out of it" People are Just dealing with working on them and still making all the power they can.

But yet we have these discussion year after year about wanting big rears. Your not seeing my point about wanting more every year is what drives the cost of the sport up and up leave the god da@# rules alone and leave to set up the truck right. A r&p is a wear item just like other parts are on other competition vehicles change it and go on. But if others are getting 10-15 hooks outta they same r&p and your not their may be a problem

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

We had 20 hooks last year on a nv4500 and a 271 and 20-145 rear and that was at 1300hp. Never gave us a bit of problems. I think those saying a big rear will lead to more breakage are not looking at the complete picture. Adding reliability and safety from preventing breakage is a good thing as far as what a big rear end would provide. Also it is much cheaper to utilize one of these big rear ends with a homemade dual setup than its one ton counterpart. I believe certain trucks are breaking ring and pinions more frequently due to the types of tracks they pull on. Its my opinion that a 1 ton axle just isn't physically big enough for the power a 2.6 powerplant produces these days. So either reel back the power or provide an alternative for those not wanting to spend the time or effort fixing r&p all the time. That's just my .02 though

Its my opinion that a 1 ton axle just isn't physically big enough for the power a 2.6 powerplant produces these days. So either reel back the power or provide an alternative for those not wanting to spend the time or effort fixing r&p all the time. That's just my .02 though

There already is an alternative. It is called the 3.0 class!

not for the people that are 7 hours from the closest 3.0 hook

That is a lot of the issue here in MO. They have tried a combined class since there are very few 3.0 trucks and it killed their numbers. Xcalibur only has a 3.0 class and they are hurting for trucks at a lot of pulls, they are mostly NE MO. MSTPA is a combined class and the 2.6 guys don't want to hook against 3.0. Mid-MO don't even have a 3.0 class.

The 2.6 is just a much more popular class here.

Exactly. I could see why some people might be against open driveline, but since we can weld the rears in I don't understand why anyone would be against it. It's not going to give any advantage and would be cheaper in the long run. And it's not like you have to do it. If you're D80 is holding up fine, then leave it. Mine will stay together for 10 hooks, but it starts to show cracks after 2-3 passes.

That is my point. It does not make the truck any more competitive and it is a simple choice.

The drop boxes can add an advantage since you can change gears for each track conditions. I really want to see the rear end and I'm fine with the drop boxes too.

If everyone is so fine with that why not build a 3.0 truck? Also most that are saying they want big rear axles or open driveline do you pull PPL clubs only or more then one club?

I run PPL and Bluegrass series sometimes locally. I have thought about going 3.0, but if I want to run with good trucks I'll have to travel a lot more. Also, there's more to a competitive 3.0 truck than just bolting a 3.0 turbo onto a 2.6 motor.

Are you running in ppl with a competitive 2.6 truck?

there are a few trucks he hooks with in that organization that are decent running machines, finished decent a handful of hooks this year.
but to the topic on hand, If big rears were allowed I would most likely step back to 2.6 with a few other little deciding factors.

Last edited:
Back