210HP P Pump help

Thanks for the good read, Is this how you would balance a pump also ?? by doing spill port timing ?

No problem. You mean balance it after racking the barrels to make sure they all flow the same?

I don't think you could balance it that way, but I ran into a guy that rebuilds these things in his garage. He said he balances them on the truck with 6 injector lines cut off going into measuring cups. He cranks it, compares the cups, adjusts the barrels and repeats until they are even. IMO, just send it off to Seth because it's not worth the time, starter rebuild or injection lines. Plus it can't be that accurate...

My understanding is thats how they balance the IP .. is by tuning the spill ports, to ensure they all flow the same or real dang close to ..

The spill ports are just holes in the barrels. You have to turn the whole barrel to balance it.

I was hoping someone else would chime in, but my understanding of balancing is that you need to leave the DVs in unlike the spill port timing method. This would compensate for any piston/plunger wear as it would have to overcome the spring on the DV to flow. Also, differences in DV flow from worn springs, shims etc could be corrected.

I'm no expert, but I was able to rack my barrels and reseal the pump without sending it anywhere. If I had more time, I would have sent it off though.

It wasn't hard to do. I just took my time, moved all the barrels the same amount and kept the shims in order for reassembly. I never had time to test the flow. Maybe one day if I find some cheap lines and have some time.

right, but if each barrell is just a slight bit off, might it run a little off ? Possibly ?

Isnt that why the fuel shops CC the pump, by adjusting the barrells ?

Yep. That is the best way to do it and worth the money IMO. I just didn't have the time. It is barrel position and shims under the barrel as well. I know I read a thread at some point where a guy racked his barrels, but messed up the shim position and the truck ran like chit. My shims were marked (I'm guessing in thou.) and green marker was used to align them. I know someone had been in there before, but I'm not sure when or who because the pump leaked.

A pump builder could tell you how close they get them. It has to be smaller than a CC. The flow rate in CCs is just what the pump can put out. Some shops will do the CCs by plate position so you can grow into your mods or have different settings for track, play and DD.

Tork Tek 060

I got around to trying the Tork Tek 060 OFV today. 32psi @ idle. I'll post back if I lose prime or have any problems, but so far so good.

I also tuned the AFC again. It is clean save for a puff here and there so I'm happy. Feels kind of sluggish till it gets into boost (~20psi). Maybe a 1/4 turn on the smoke screw in the future...

Screw is preboost. Star wheel/spring tension is how fast fuel its added as boost rises.

not smoke screw, star wheel, thats gonna be your fuel off the line ...

Screw is preboost. Star wheel/spring tension is how fast fuel its added as boost rises.

Everytime I adjust the starwheel looser, it smokes. I figured giving it more fuel before boost would help the turbo light. Maybe more housing and starwheel adjustments?

I swapped back to my stock OFV halfway home.

Tork Tek 060 review:
Positives: Good pressure @ idle and no spring to wear out.
Negatives: Longer cranking time, pressure ramp up is a bit slower and priming w/o a drill sucks.

Ahh, I see, got it , maybe thats whay i need to adjust then, I'm just slightly lag off the line with a load, might give the screw just a tad bit of adj... thanks Madmike..:Cheer:

I just got a 66mm turbo yesterday. R&R turbo in less than 90min in a parking space at my apartment complex. It's a totally different truck. I think that was my problem all along. And almost no smoke on the first tuning attempt. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Nice, so .. when do we get to see the 1/4 mile time ??

Maybe some launches or cruize footage .. anything .. LOL

Closest drag strip is a good drive away. A friend did 5 passes on a test and tune night for ~$40 in SC. I wouldn't mind going on one of those nights.

I'll get one of my co-workers to shoot something Saturday. I should be smoke free by then.

Back