3126 cat n an ambulance chassis

well I don't see how after seeing what it is. how it could possibly be bad...im gonna ask ringpower if they did a running pressure check on the water pump per cat spec and if they didn't I'm gonna ask em wtf the 140$ is for..an hr of shop labor to run a diagnostic...

looking more like the radiator now...don't look easier to change tho...lotta schidt up front...

ok kids...blew out those little lines going to the res on the firewall. was told they might be plugged. didnt help. radiator is about 30 degrees cooler on the btm than the top. consistently ...btm hose got to be 115..top was about 145..same whether it was 160 bm and 185 top...always about 30 degrees cooler comin out the bottom. cyl temps from outside the block facing the turbo was consistent... about 200 210 all cyls. intake air tubes to the intercooler were running about 120. took the line off the wastegate so it couldnt open...it seemed to be working but havent been inside it...took the truck about 15 miles and at 65 it was up to 220. then pulled off to take some temp measurements and in about 15 mins it was down to 190 ish looking. took off back home and it was right back to 230 or so in less than 5 miles at 65 mph...

ok kids...blew out those little lines going to the res on the firewall. was told they might be plugged. didnt help. radiator is about 30 degrees cooler on the btm than the top. consistently ...btm hose got to be 115..top was about 145..same whether it was 160 bm and 185 top...always about 30 degrees cooler comin out the bottom. cyl temps from outside the block facing the turbo was consistent... about 200 210 all cyls. intake air tubes to the intercooler were running about 120. took the line off the wastegate so it couldnt open...it seemed to be working but havent been inside it...took the truck about 15 miles and at 65 it was up to 220. then pulled off to take some temp measurements and in about 15 mins it was down to 190 ish looking. took off back home and it was right back to 230 or so in less than 5 miles at 65 mph...

There should not be a 30* drop, it’s plugged internally.

5 hrs..wasn't a bad job..had a good helper....then we tore the old one apart. took the tanks of and holy shhheeeiiiiitttttt.....think I found the problem:cheer:

Attachments

• rad1.png
    rad1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • rad2.png
    rad2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • rad3.png
    rad3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • rad4.png
    rad4.png
  • rad5.png
    rad5.png
5 hrs..wasn't a bad job..had a good helper....then we tore the old one apart. took the tanks of and holy shhheeeiiiiitttttt.....think I found the problem:cheer:

Was going to take a hell of a water pump to overcome that goo.

So how much/money would have been saved if you'd listened to the first person to tell you the radiator?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

^supposed to saye how much time/money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So how much time/money would have been saved if you'd listened to the first person to tell you the radiator?

Or, to stay away from the 3126.....

Even the crap in the radiator is CAT yellow. Didn’t you put t-stats in it not long ago? Any evidence of that junk around them?

Hope that fixes your problem and you can now use the truck like you want. :clap:

Last edited:
that's running it hard for 2 hrs. never got any hotter...trans temp is waaaaaaaaaaay down too.

chris...Gage is bigger than me. got some good mechanical sense too. still thinks working on trucks is cool...for now...lol

didn't cost me much so far except grief...rad was 750...and the coolant and therms was 100....looks to be gtg

as much as I hate the bs it aint bad riding going down the road...gutless...but the bigger chassis over the dodge is nice

hey I didn't know cat was crap til I got one....seemed like a deal at the time. I got 18000 in it:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Attachments

• rad6.png
    rad6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • rad7.png
    rad7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
that's running it hard for 2 hrs. never got any hotter...trans temp is waaaaaaaaaaay down too.

chris...Gage is bigger than me. got some good mechanical sense too. still thinks working on trucks is cool...for now...lol

didn't cost me much so far except grief...rad was 750...and the coolant and therms was 100....looks to be gtg

as much as I hate the bs it aint bad riding going down the road...gutless...but the bigger chassis over the dodge is nice

hey I didn't know cat was crap til I got one....seemed like a deal at the time. I got 18000 in it:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Well you might have a Junkliner that needed some work neglected by the previous owners but at least it’s not a Dodge. Now run it a while then add some power.

well I don't see how after seeing what it is. how it could possibly be bad...im gonna ask ringpower if they did a running pressure check on the water pump per cat spec and if they didn't I'm gonna ask em wtf the 140$ is for..an hr of shop labor to run a diagnostic...
I would forward the pictures to their service manager and ask him why the radiator or massive temp drop were never mentioned.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

I would forward the pictures to their service manager and ask him why the radiator or massive temp drop were never mentioned.

I intend to..and ask them what would've happened after they misdiagnosed an 1800$ water pump...

I never did figure out why the low HP C7’s/3126’s were so problematic. Seemed like twice a week another service letter would be released. The mid and high horse versions were hardly ever included; they ran great. Problem was they cost more and nobody spent the money. Actually, my biggest heartbreak was the C9 heui. They were an absolute BEAST for their size and sounded mean. But....even fewer people bought those than the high horse C7’s. They used the same heui components but for some reason ran great with them. I’m seeing more C9’s now that I’m working on generators, the industrial versions roll some serious coal!

Ind C9's are no joke. Automotive C9's liked to chuck piston crowns.

Back