My 93 street/sled truck project with pics!

Post em up Jake! I wanted to go with that cam, but I felt it wasn't really a street friendly stick as it makes its peak power at ~4,000 rpm instead of closer to 3,000. Your truck should be a beast. Are you going to get your pistons coated as well?

nice!! so thats the manifold I should be seeing soon eh? competition one seem a lot bigger than a normal one? It isn't already tapped for an egt prob is it?

Yes sir it's tapped for probe and drive pressure if look close you see the two holes. I've seen pics of comp by the regular and the Throat going into the flange is wider more free flowing so it don't have to make 90 degree turn goig into the turbo. As for the cam my truck will prolly be mostly for pulling with occasional street use so I figured go big lol

Well little update I pulled my truck yesterday, stock charger, 5x18. Still got problems with my clutch didn't really lock in till bout 150 ft and started hopping so I let out. Looks like il pull the trans out again. At least I put on a good smoke show lol. Kinda aggravated with my injectors. Il elaborate on that some more when/if I get to talk to the builder of said injectors. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339454727.649850.jpg

well i got a injector leaking and cant figure it out. i thought the body was cracked around the return thats why i didnt elaborate in my last post. but i pulled the injector out today and couldnt tell that it was cracked... i put two different coppers on the return and tried two different bajo bolts as well and still leaks so guess il pull the return and check it for cracks. these things can be a pain to get to seal up sometimes

well little update machine shop got my block bored 20 over so i can finally order me some pistons. bad news is i took them my arp main stud kit to put in to check the centerline and the kit was 4 studs short from the factory. talked to my supplier and he is going to get ahold of arp and try to get it resloved. arp needs to step their game up.

I got my mahle's and bearings coated at Swain Tech in NY. All total I think it was $500 for everything. I got the crowns done in Gold Coat and the skirts in PC-9 ($62.50/piston). The bearings were done in PPM low friction coat ($12.75/pair)

Diesel Coatings Price Sheet | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings

#1 piston in fresh block:
IMG_0699.jpg

I think it'll hold up pretty well. Some guy on here had like 35,000 miles and 350 1/4 mile passes and the piston looked very very good. You could just barely see the starfish-like pattern of the 5 hole injector spray on the crown after al that. It's not really for preventing a "meltdown," but it helps with heat expansion of the piston to keep clearances in check

I've heard of swain on here a few times figured that's who ya had do them. Prolly well worth the extra $$$$. Which part number piston are those? Il prolly end up with the same ones and have my shop relief cut them for me. Did you have all the mains and rod bearings coated?

I believe its closer to the "marine style" non I/C 1st gen piston (43 cc bowl). The aftercooled mahle piston has a 47 cc bowl. The true marine piston (coated and non coated is around 52-53 cc's). Mine can comfortably run 26-28 degrees of static timing w/o spraying out of the bowl with a 145* spray angle injector. The 286110 can run up to 30-34*'s I believe…..that might be more up your alley since yours is more of a puller. Talk to to Weston (Smokem) about this type of stuff. He knows his sh$t.

From what I read the 286110 is the 47cc bowl piston like what I posted above. Correct me if I'm wrong

You are correct. The non coated marine style (#286050) has the top ring the lowest (.2-.3" lower than the 210 or 110) and has a 52 cc bowl. That might be what you would want. The 286110 is 47 cc for bowl volume.

Heres a good link compliments of Weston:[ame="http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo25/westonmerril/Piston%20Info/"]Piston Info pictures by westonmerril - Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:
yea i have that link saved for reference awhile back. only problem is i dont know where to order the 286050 pistons

Well hadn't updated in awhile Sadly because I haven't got much accomplished lately due to my work schedule. Been fighting some clutch issues I've yet to resolve. My block and head machine work are pretty much done. Ordered a set of 286110 pistons today, once they come in il drop them off at the machine shop so they can hone the block and get the tolerances they want. Plan to call soon and talk to Hamilton about a cam and valve train parts. Slowly but surely it will come together might be done by next summer haha

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344536809.028007.jpg pistons came in today. 286110. .020 over. Plan on having valve reliefs cut and sending them off to get coated as well

How much power are you looking to make Jake? It may have been in the thread but I didn't catch it.

Back