Sucking air..

Ok everything was working fine, when I put the hoses in buckets of fuel, hooked em back up the the tank and injection pump, put fuel in the tank and the pump runs but sounds weak and has a click as its running and isn't moving any fuel to the injection pump. Opened the water separator and it has small stream of fuel coming out. Battery is charged and connections are good. Leaning towards the airdog going on its way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a new motor from airdog installed, and still a no go, I'm almost out of ideas. The only thing I haven't replaced is the overflow valve on the injection pump. I have a tork tek tho.

LMAO:hehe::hehe::hehe: If you open the bleeder with the pump on of course it will suck air!:hehe::hehe::bang

Lol dang it. So If I open it with the pump off, it should be a solid stream ?

If I my return line were to be getting air in it, it would cause it to lose prime through all the lines correct ?

The filter with the bleeder is on the suction side of the pump. The other filter is on the pressure side of the pump. You're positive the AirDog is causing your hard start issue?

Last edited:
I've got my pump mounted the the on the inside of the frame so it wasn't out in the open as much.

The pump is mounted backwards of what it would be if it was mounted on the oustside of the frame. I've had it like that since it was ve pumped and never caused an issue, this problem is driving me nuts though

Take the supply fitting off your p pump put hose in bucket and have somebody turn the key on and see if your fuel is aerated or not I know you need 2 people but that's the best way to decide if it's a fuel supply issue or a pump issue

The pump has on it IN and OUT Idiot proof! Lets get back to your original problem which is:??

I did that the other day, by myself lol, it came out of the hose fine, had a good stream to it, when the fuel was in the bucket it was bubbling, but I'm pretty sure it was just from it splashing into the bucket

Do we have ANY idea what we're doing here? I think the lines are hooked up to the AirDog incorrectly. So much confusion......

Conflicting statements:
I just replaced the feed line from the airdog to the t fitting on the Vulcan kit.

Nope, no fuel lines were touched...

Using the wrong tools:
the only fuel pressure gauge I had was for 15psi
This is the equivalent to saying "I have a bolt to torque to 100 Ft. Lb. but my torque wrench only goes to 30 Ft. Lb. so I tightened it a bit further after it clicked."

You have no idea the tank has a vent?
I could hear air leaking, if I took the fuel cap off it would go away. Not sure if that's normal or not ?

And then there's this:
The filter with the bleeder is on the suction side of the pump. The other filter is on the pressure side of the pump.

The pump is mounted backwards of what it would be if it was mounted on the oustside of the frame.
It doesn't matter if it's mounted upside down, what he told you on the filters is correct. This diagram shows flow through the pump. Note the position of the filter with the drain valve.

airdog-fuel-diagram_zpsonuvlxhr.jpg

There is one line on the end of the pump that has the filter with the drain valve on it. This line goes to the sump.

There are two lines on the other end. The larger one goes to the injector pump, the smaller one goes back to the fuel filler hose at the tank.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the guy has an imaginary problem or if there is an actual problem he should take it to a real diesel mechanic shop and put down his Harbor Freight crescent wrench.

Ok, the problem is. I'm losing prime. I'm going to replace my return line from the airdog to the tank and the feed line from the tank to airdog and go from there. The feed line has been replaced and did not fix the problem. It has a new airdog motor. So if anyone has any constructive Ideas, it would be appreciated.

Good post Bigpapa! Losing prime is the main issue.....I think! Typical causes are air leaking into supply line to CP3 and or back draining thru pump. Not sure if there is a check valve at the pump? Is there a check valve on the return flow from the rail? Sorry brain fuzzy after 3 margarita's!

Last edited:
It'll gurgle if the airdog is turned on. There's 5 gallons of fuel in the tank now...

As soon as you turn the key on does the AirDog build pressure on your gauge with in a second or two? If so your losing prime in between the injectors and and the ppump and it has nothing to do with your AirDog.

Back