Supercharger pulley

Sorry to disappoint, but CQ isn't going to have my idler in until Tuesday morning. That means no updates until then. :(

Sorry, guys.

HX52, 67/71/16.

I bought a straight flange T4i Steed just for it. :rockwoot:

Anybody have any thoughts on whether its better for a tensioner's arm to point against the belt's direction of travel or along with it? I can see it applying more tension against it but common sense tells me they should go with the direction of travel.

Does it even matter? I can use a factory Dodge unit if I make it to go with the direction of travel, it may be handy to have an extra around.

not sure if it answers the question, but they work by taking up slack and are typically mounted on the slack (passenger) side near the crank. ;)

Why not just make it manual with a screw adjuster and use the tightest fitting belt possible?
A belt is only going to stretch so much from new, then it's good for a while.
Granted it's more maintenance, but less likely to have an "Oh Sh!t" moment due to a tensioner bouncing around.

Mark.

Last edited:
Why not just make it manual with a screw adjuster and use the tightest fitting belt possible?
A belt is only going to stretch so much from new, then it's good for a while.

Mark.

there are harmonics to account for. They serp belts cant squeeze in/out of the pulleys the way vbelts do. I was told the SC's snout bearings and couplers are prone to failure if the belt is too tight.

Yeah, I've been digging around and from what I understand it's really bad to use a manual adjuster on any sort of serpentine belt. Like Carl said there's something they don't like about being over-tensioned.

I intended to have the tensioner on the slack-side of the belt and an idler on the tension side, I just didn't know if it mattered how the tensioner arm oriented in relation to belt travel. It would be easier for me to mount one against travel, as I have more room towards the blower about than I will towards the drive pulley, but I've already got my stock tensioner to fab with so I'll just use it.

:edit: And the only reason my hood comes up is to change my induction setup or my oil. No way is keep up on tightening a manual tensioner. LOL

Last edited:
I see.
Apparently even the OEM tensioned stuff is suspect, as when I was looking for a SC off of a Grand Prix 3.8, I went through about 15 of them to find one that the drive parts weren't loose on, much less not having scored rotors.
I did find that gem, though!

Mark.

The GM units used "soft" couplers. They are easy to replace and cheaper than gears! ;)
The EGR dumping hot/contaminated exhaust gas into the blower didnt do much for longevity of the rotors!! :doh:

Last edited:
My M112 had a plastic coupler in it, kind of an el-cheapo Lovejoy setup. The drive about has 3 prongs and the rotor shaft does also. There's a chunk of poly with 6 holes drilled to fit them. Supposedly they get worn after a while, I've seen some aftermarket upgrade options for it consisting of harder plastic and whatnot.

Mine doesn't have any play so I'm not sweating it. I will warn you of cracking open that front gear train housing though, I did it in my living room while I was bored and the nastiest-smelling oil I've ever been around came pouring out of it. :badidea:

It smelled about like straight LSD additive, my GF was pissed.

...I will warn you of cracking open that front gear train housing though, I did it in my living room while I was bored and the nastiest-smelling oil I've ever been around came pouring out of it. :badidea:

It smelled about like straight LSD additive, my GF was pissed.
Already opened a couple up, but the smell of the oil wasn't so bad, since it was done outdoors. :poke:

You should have saved a little bit of the oil in a small container, then you could wave it under her nose now and again, just to put some excitement into the relationship. :hehe:

Carl, I hear you on the EGR and wearing.
It was like the rotors were all tore up on one end and fine on the other, but this one I ended up with must either have been a really low miles unit, or a brand new replacement, because it's pretty darn nice.

It just sits in the shed. :(

Mark.

you have a pretty badass GF

Pffft, hardly. She was watching some dumbass TLC show so I had retreated to the other end of the living room to get away from it. My house smelled like an animal took a **** in every room for a week and it was worth it just to get her away from the TV that night. LOL

Heh, while its effectiveness can't be denied, at the cost of used blowers compared to the amount of idiocy on TV I'm afraid a man would be fighting a losing battle money-wise.

I'll experiment with other ways to chase her out of the living room as I go along and report back here with those as well. :lolly:

Then I won't have an excuse to buy anymore blowers. :poke:

Honestly, I got the TV for her. I just wanted cable internet for my cellphone tower thing. No service at my house otherwise. I haven't watched anything on TV for probably 4 years. Hell, all I watched before that was cartoons. LOL

I'm an idiot, dyslexia having its way with me again. The Dodge tensioner does actually go against belt direction in this case, I should have plenty of room to mount it. Pic of my suspected routing, including custom screwdriver idler.
9858497F-3C1E-40EC-8724-F526A758A556-901-000000DF3DE8E995_zps4843cea9.jpg

Taco, if you put the tensioner pulley closer to the supercharger, it can grab more of the supers pulley. Something to think about.

Back