The Compound Game, Primary Finally Ordered!

Very disappointing night, ended up running same et I Ran with a fricken single 64 that being a 12.4x at 108.5ish. Goin to get some drive readings number one. Number two will be running with no airfilter to rule that out. After that I will go from there. Truck was right at 6600 even.

Looked like I had plenty in vids. I will get them up in next day or so

At this time I'm thinking I need to look into the following:
1. Drive pressure
2. Restrictions with air filter
3. Dual feeding my pump (still fed just by the stock location by AD150 and fuel pressure is not dropping)
4. 5x16 155 degree injectors being too small or two wide of an angle (I went nearly the same e.t. at 100lbs lighter with a single 64 and some 5x13s at 145 degree)

Other suspect things include this cool twist intercooler. My mechanic buddy thinks it is a huge restriction and the machine shop I had repair it did not believe it was "the nicest piece" out there. Sadly if it is the intercooler it is what it is because I have grown tired of spending money on this truck.

Also, I am loosing some drive at the hx40 end of my hot pipe as evidenced by some smoke which comes from this joint at wot (seen coming through dash slightly) and when I throw a quick rev to it by actuating the pump lever via hand. Not sure if there is enough power missing there to worry about honestly as my experience with leaks is when not present all the time they are not worth much power.

In any event all ears to suggestions on my thoughts above and additional thoughts.

Boost was down around 78 pounds with about 38 coming from the primary. It was about 83-85 degrees and very humid. I tried restricting and loosening the boost elbow to the top turbo's gate and nothing seem to change.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpSKaU8-jlY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUMqfClVfhaaZhpza7caq5Vg"]HDV 0213 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axGxFmAgw0Q&list=UUMqfClVfhaaZhpza7caq5Vg"]HDV 0212 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybxf_8I0utE&list=UUMqfClVfhaaZhpza7caq5Vg"]HDV 0211 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
It cracks me up seeing you truck blow past so many "muscle cars" lol.

Did you happen to see what your egts were at the end of the track?

How much fuel pressure is the AD150 making?

What pump are you running, can't remember?

is the 155* the "correct" angle for those bowls?

It cracks me up seeing you truck blow past so many "muscle cars" lol.

Did you happen to see what your egts were at the end of the track?

How much fuel pressure is the AD150 making?

What pump are you running, can't remember?

is the 155* the "correct" angle for those bowls?

Yes, EGTs are well past 1600 would have to guess 1800 plus.

The AD150 is holding steady at 40psi.

The pump is a 180 I sent to DPE to have benched. I have installed CDS 5ks and a set of Weston's 100cc 7mm DVs in it.

The pistons are stock. I have always felt the sotp of the 155's were very beneficial but these days my sotp meter flat out sucks so I think I have been foolin myself in that regard. One thing I do like is how clean they run though and how responsive they are. I am starting to wonder if I would in fact end up with more power with a set of 145 degree injectors. The fact I went this fast with a fricken single 64 and a set of 145 degree injectors really is making me wonder. I never duplicated those times with a set of these 155 degree injectors and the 145 degree injectors are smaller to boot.

Last edited:
I gained 4 tents of a second from removing the airfilter on my truck, went from 12.2's to 11.8 right away

That being said it was my first time at the track so it may not be as consistant seeing you have ran your truck many times

I gained 4 tents of a second from removing the airfilter on my truck, went from 12.2's to 11.8 right away

That being said it was my first time at the track so it may not be as consistant seeing you have ran your truck many times

Carl indicated this filter is used on many of the source kits, but that does not necessarily mean that it flows what is needed for my primary. I have emailed AFE to attempt to obtain a CFM rating. I doubt I will get one but we will see. I plan to remove the filter and see what happens. I do suspect it may be a little short on flow especially given I have not cleaned it since an a/c line blew off and hit it with R134 which may in fact be causing some issues but who the hell knows.

Just got off the phone with AFE who indicated the 18" length version of my air filter flows 527 CFM and mine should be right there given he indicated inlet diameter is the biggest restriction. According to How to convert lbs/min into CFMs...... 1lb/min = 14.472CFM. The primary should be over 100lbs-min to as high as 110lbs-min so..............

I will make some runs with no air filter on the street to see how the truck responds.

I would look at drive pressure before changing anything(besides the air filter of course). If that seems to be ok, i would swap injectors.

I have almost exactly the same pump setup, except mine was maxed on a truck. 180 pump, 5ks, 8mm comp cuts. With my moderate injectors(6x13s) it still has plenty of fuel to burn and is making ~725hp.

From what I calculated by your times and weight. You are at about 600rwhp right? You should have enough fuel to be flirting with 700. And it is cleaning up fairly well. Is there a plate in it?

For the record my truck has never liked 155 injectors. But my dads play truck seems to like em better. They both have stock pistons. Mine is a 95' and his is a 98'

From what I calculated by your times and weight. You are at about 600rwhp right? You should have enough fuel to be flirting with 700. And it is cleaning up fairly well. Is there a plate in it?

For the record my truck has never liked 155 injectors. But my dads play truck seems to like em better. They both have stock pistons. Mine is a 95' and his is a 98'

No plate and I agree that it is clearing up pretty well. This pump has never exactly fueled like an animal like I thought it would but it is what it is. And I'm only around 550-560 which is far far short of where it should be. I have an offer to try some 145* 5x18s. I still have yet to pull the air filter and try but I will likely do that and get drive readings before doing any injector swaps.

When you say your truck has never liked the 155 injectors can you elaborate? Did it run/drive poorly or not make power? I've not had a set be as responsive as these 155 injectors but as I said earlier it is a possibility they are short on power compared to previous 145 injectors. Not saying that is the case but it is a possibility.

Well I decided to remove the ball and spring from the overflow valve at the suggestion of a buddy. Developed a leak where the return transitions from hard line to hose. Was prob there all along and was not returning muchfuelthrough pump. I have to say Pump felt spongy after eliminating overflow restriction. Part throttle fuel pressure did not change, perhaps passing more fuel through the pump regardless of pressure creates this issue who knows. Will fix leak and see what that gets me.

No plate and I agree that it is clearing up pretty well. This pump has never exactly fueled like an animal like I thought it would but it is what it is. And I'm only around 550-560 which is far far short of where it should be. I have an offer to try some 145* 5x18s. I still have yet to pull the air filter and try but I will likely do that and get drive readings before doing any injector swaps.

When you say your truck has never liked the 155 injectors can you elaborate? Did it run/drive poorly or not make power? I've not had a set be as responsive as these 155 injectors but as I said earlier it is a possibility they are short on power compared to previous 145 injectors. Not saying that is the case but it is a possibility.

My truck @ 21* with a 5x.016's (155) Hazed constantly, seemed to get hott DDing. Cruising temps were (700-850*ish) degree higher. and ran 2mph slower in the 1/8(88.3-89.2mph- 6 runs). VS. the 5x.016's (145) same timing, haze only when engine is cold, ran cooler cruising (550- 625*ish). And would run 90.8-91.4mph- 8 runs. The air stayed the same Supercharger m112 w/ S475 blowing into it- Boost remained the same @ 54-56psi.

My dad runs 5x.018(155) @ 26* truck hazes but not like mine did. His cruising temps @70mph are 650-700* with a single 66. He does have a little bigger cam.

If you have a drive leak that is visible you could be losing a bit there, I'd definitely try to get that fixed

Just watched the vids, and I must say that seeing a truck that looks so similar to mine running down the track is making me jealous lol. Looks like I need to hurry up and get mine back together!

If the filter causing the much of a vacuum, it basically simulates being at a high altitude. Could be a factor.

Just watched the vids, and I must say that seeing a truck that looks so similar to mine running down the track is making me jealous lol. Looks like I need to hurry up and get mine back together!

If I can't find the power tho truck should be making this one will be for sale lol!

Back