Track tonight

11's might be pushing it, but I know a truck locally here went high 11s with 5x18s and a 160 pump. Lightweight regular cab though.

I have a self maxed 160 pump with 4k springs & 191s, only 35psi of fuel pressure(for now) and a rack plug. I'm running a s468/83/.90. With a stock exhaust manifold and my 6x16s I went 11.85@113 first pass out leaving at 15psi. I then swapped on a steed speed T4 and went to a set of 6x13s for better street maners. Went back o the track and went 11.92 @ 113 with a slightly worse 60ft(1.77) then the 11.85(1.75) run. This is at 6700lbs. Going to try the 6x16s back in it next.

If the charger is surging then you aren't driving it hard enough. You either need more rpm, or it's simply a little to big for your setup.

never weighed the truck before but if i had to guess its probably 6500-6700#. timing is about 24* i think... I bought the pump used from a member here that said it was 550cc. Now im starting to think that it is not. My 160 pump I had on here before with 5x.014 would spool this charger better and would not surge. Also would have a steady black stream wot with 55 boost. Fp is right at 35psi wot. It is supposed to have 4k springs. Injectors were bought from weston 5x.018 i think 153 spray angle. I have a bigger set that i might throw in.

On the runs i would start in 1st then straight to drive, lock 3rd, then od. but if i hold 3rd to 3800 rpms it wont shift to od for some reason... Im almost thinking about sticking on a gt4294 that i have sitting on the shelf. Honestly tho i think this pump is just not pushing the fuel.

I also can lock 2nd but i figure i would just snuff it out if i locked it.

edit... I have some videos on my facebook just showing the spool up while driving. I see if they will post here

Last edited:
Tie the tv cable wide open and just start in drive. I would lock the TC a sec or so after it hits 2nd gear, that should help keep it from snuffing as easy.

If there's no smoke, I'd double check the AFC boost reference line, AFC foot travel, fuel plate, etc to make sure the pump is setup to provide full fuel about 10 psi below your target maximum boost.

Also, where did you get your 180 pump from? Stock on your model year is a 160 pump which needs more than 35 psi fuel pressure to maintain any sort of fueling above 3000 rpm.

No smoke with that setup means there is not enough fuel getting into the motor, why is up to you to figure out.

FYI, my 98' with stock HX35 runs 93-94 MPH in the 1/4 at 14.8-14.6 ET. At 7100 lbs, my setup is good for about 400 HP at the rear wheels. I assume your truck is lighter than mine so 96 MPH puts you around 400 HP.

What would that do? allow more line pressure? tieing the tv cable that is.

Yes, and that means 1st gear will be extended out as far as the 1-2 spring in the vb will allow. That keeps you from having to manual shift it, and keeps it from short shifting to 2nd when in D. This way you can lock it right after it shifts and not have to worry about missing a gear. As a nice side effect it also helps to keep you from slipping the forward clutches while building boost.

the pump came from a friend of ryan lehan i think. when i had the 160 pump on the truck, it had 5k springs, comp dvs, racked barrels, with an adjustable plate. i was running 60 psi under wot. I mean there is smoke but it looks like a stock truck with just a big puff off the line. Im thinking somthing in the pump or the pump is just stock...

I'll try and tie it down for wot and see how it does.

Check out your throttle linkage, make sure you are getting full throttle with your pedal...
It might cure both issues

Check out your throttle linkage, make sure you are getting full throttle with your pedal...
It might cure both issues

I was just going to mention this. I bought a new tv cable cause i thought mine was locked up. which it was, but with out the tv cable hooked i could get full travel. with the new one one it still goes to full throttle but i have to hold it there for a sec and it catches up but is slow to make the full motion. if that makes any sence at all.

Its in a bind somehow.. I just replaced mine and its butter smooth..
Did u use a or dodge cable or aftermarket?

Sounds exactly like mine with the afc spring to tight, go gut the aft and see how it runs, of it runs better then you need a lighter spring.

Did you ever mess with it? The truck it came off of could have had full travel at 65psi vs what you need, could make a huge difference.

nope never even touched it yet! I just got the truck back up and running monday night, threw the front drive shaft on at the track and ran it lol having no seat time for this new build. I get back in town friday night before the dyno pulls on saturday then truckfest lol. So i gonna have to mess with it all day saturday and hope for the best on sunday lmao

Its on the top of the list! like you said if it is setup for full fuel at 80 psi and i'm only hitting 40 then there is the problem for fuel.

Ryan's pump moves fuel, the injectors are 5x0.018" 370's 155* cone angle, your limiting fuel via the AFC if it takes 65-80psi to get it open.

I thought it was ryan's friends pump? Im going to have to check the afc to make sure Im getting full fuel then when i get back

Alright so after truckfest today I have some new times. All i did was remove the afc and plate and put a block off on it. leaving at 18 psi, lock up in second and third, but would not shift to od at all

rt: .246
60': 1.85
330' 5.405
1/8: 8.415
mph: 81.81
1000' 11.023

et: 13.27 at 99.11

edit... All the other runs were 13.6-14.0

Back