Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I wouldn't shy away from the acert cat. I got two buddies that have them with custom ecm tuning running about 650 at the wheels and not a single problem out of them. BUT they did rebuild them when the headgaskets blew and the compression is lowered quite a bit.

Yea it's amazing what you can do with these Cats. I know guys that have thrown all the IVA's in the scrap pile and went all the way back to 40pin ECM's on a few Acerts. Everyone looks for a 6nz when they're engine shopping and its driven the price through the roof. When in reality you can buy just about any E model cat and make it whatever you want at OH time.

Enlighten me on this MBN engine....I've never heard of it

Mbn is the bridge engine between the 6nz and accert. I thought the compression was closer to an accert, 16.6 wouldn't be too bad. I know of a guy that did over 800 hp on a bridge with tuning, cam, turbo and injectors, they can make power.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

power is the least of my concern just buying my own truck to run, i want a 550-600hp thats reliable and gets decent mileage, my 550 ISX gets betweeen 4.5 and 5 mpg which is decent for the type of work i do, i do not want an engine that is unreliable and/or gets piss poor mileage, when it gets to the point where i can start to expand and add another truck or two then i would consider contacting pittsburgh power or PDI and doing a mild build on whatever truck i choose, and by mild i mean nothing over 750-800 to the wheels, longevity and reliability are my main concerns.

I happen to know where a black Pete with a Cat is! And cheap too! A good truck with just one little problem. It's freshly wrecked!LOL :poke:

IMO you really shouldn't have to spend 45k on a used pete. I bought mine for 7k and I realize its a 378 and has a detriot in it but I don't think those two factors drop the price that much

Enlighten me on this MBN engine....I've never heard of it

As Chevota84 said it was the engine after the '01-'02 6NZ prefix and before the late '04+ Acert. (Some 2004's could have had either engines) In stock form they're not very good on fuel or power. However the one we had was basically flawless mechanically. Had just over 800k when we sold it and everything was original including the water pump. Other than valve adjustments it was never opened up. The good thing is you can have the ECM reflashed with either a 6NZ file (nothing a dealer or Cat will do) or aftermarket (PDI) to get rid of the EPA junk tuning. The other issue is the camshaft. The cam profile is crap and is usually replaced with the Cat 800hp cam. The turbo is also a POS and if you find one with a factory charger I can guarantee you the exhaust housing is cracked due to the excess heat from the retarded timing thanks to the EPA.

The other good thing is none of this has to be done right away. Like I said we ran ours for 800k bone stock (even paid cat like $1200 to update it to the MBN max of 525hp, which was a joke). Had I known in '03 they could be fixed it would have been done. You can have the ECM flashed for like $500-$800 for Cat files or $2k+ for custom tuning. The cam is under $1000 if you install it yourself, me and a friend did one in a few hours and the MBN cam can be used as a core. And you can find a good aftermarket charger for less than Cat wants for a POS factory 6NZ turbo. My friend has one with a Stage 1 PDI ECM, larger turbo and an 800hp cam and it is a totally different animal.

I was told the '03 379 I drive has a Bridge engine. That would be this MBN then? It seems like a pretty decent engine (Its had some work done) Truck only has 586K on it and she pulls nice.. I saw just over 5.5mpg on a trip to Williston ND with just under a 120K gross.

My understanding is you can have an 03 with either the 6nz or the mbn

I was told the '03 379 I drive has a Bridge engine. That would be this MBN then? It seems like a pretty decent engine (Its had some work done) Truck only has 586K on it and she pulls nice.. I saw just over 5.5mpg on a trip to Williston ND with just under a 120K gross.

Yea you have a MBN. Does it still have the factory exhaust? They have converter(s) from the factory and they are VERY restrictive. 5.5 is good for those, some barely get 4. Having the ECM flashed with even a stock 6NZ file helps a lot with fuel and power. I have a friend that can flash it with a 7CZ 600hp file that's been modded with a little added timing that makes those run awesome for about $800. Also makes them run cooler. They're notorious for high EGT's which causes the exhaust housing to crack.

Mr.T, found you a truck!

ama2utyv.jpg

That truck is sooooooo bad ass. But there's two problems:

1: its a kenworth
2: that WAY more than a 250" wheelbase LOL

I have trucks like that all over my phone. Facebook pages overload me with them. I can't help it...

Oh yea I snapped this one for you guys the other day.
e2abu9eg.jpg

Back