Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Is there any pros to having a traditional vs half round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I pull an end dump part time to scratch my trucking itch. It depends what you want to haul. Scrapyards generally require a frame trailer and will not let a frameless in their gate. That being said obviously a frame type is heavier but it depends what you want to haul. The company I work for has a contract hauling lime pellets into a local steel mill 7 days a week. They have a pit to dump in so either hopper bottoms or end dumps can do the work. Most of their work is end dump work though, and relies on the steel mills.

Yea we don't have scrap yards around my parts. Or at least not like that.
Ive always thought it may be a good gig to get into and I wanna try it... however none of our feedmills and stuff around us will let end dumps or belt trailers in. Therefore your restricted to basically rock and sand which is fine except for there being 4 dump trucks per person in our area so the rates are chit, and people are cut throat, cheap working POS's.
I've pulled some smaller frame type end dumps hauling millings back when I was doing the dump truck gig. Other than that, I've never touched an end dump. Especially no frameless ones lol.

Are you talking of both trailers being aluminum? I'm asking because most of the half round I see are steel. I've used both trailer before. In my opinion, the traditional is more stable when unloading. There was a few guys back in the day that turned over while dumping with the half round. When I used to unload with a half round, it just seemed like I had to be extra picky on where I was going to unload. Meaning the ground level wise. As with the traditional, it was faster and easier to decide where to unload. And pearsonaly, I like the traditional better even though it weighs a bit more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes both that I'd be referring to are frameless aluminum's.

I've only pulled a frame type one time on a run to Detroit. Other than that I've always pulled a frameless. Eduardo is correct that you have to be careful on the placement when dumping bc you need to be fairly level. The company I work for has had a couple go over but more bc the payload froze in the nose than dumping on unlevel ground.

If you are hauling real light stuff you can get more on a square body, if you have a short sided half round. Also with a square body if you have a barn door you can back up to docks and haul pallets but nobody does that any more that I know of.

What's with the wheelbase? Why so long?

272". Its for NY's phucked up bridge laws. Plus to be able to hold 200+ gal of fuel

It was more of a joke than anything lol. Looks good. We bit long for a daycab looks wise for me, but as you said, it's for another purpose.

Speaking of bridge laws... ya know I been in this for a bit and still don't know this answer. For spread axle setups, do I have to look up each state for their specific law or??

Interstate is 40k across the spread

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I forgot about a key point in my question. I'm talking like small spreads. Like 8' 8" or 9'. That area anyhow.

Ok after some further research unless there is a state that somehow gets out of it, for example an 8' 8" spread, is allowed 38k per the federal chart.
I start getting confused on measuring the distance between axle 2&5 and what that chit means.
Per Missouri'a chart, in my reading we should allow tag axles on trailers, but I don't think we do.

Seen this hauler at OSTPA pull tonight, don't know anything about it, just thought it looked cool!
245b044d38080cd9459783a32a3ec077.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Missouri allows a little more apparently. I thought I messed up, but after I looked again, they just allow a little more than the federal chart I guess.

Missouri allows a little more apparently. I thought I messed up, but after I looked again, they just allow a little more than the federal chart I guess.

Never mind that's wrong... 8'-1" to 9' is 38k
9' is 39k. Then, obviously 10' is 40k. I read and re-read 80 times.

Back