Way to much smoke!!

ok, yea, Not sure what I was thinking. Just trying to figure it all out at once I guess.
Thanks for the info though cliff. On your setup you said you went to 5x20 at the same time you put the head on right? What size where you running before that you are using to compair how it has more smoke now than before?

The .020" headgasket is my guess, Bigger ports with less compression, considerably lower port velocity and will make engines lazy down low. Add to that, with less squeeze in the cylinder efficiency drops considerably.

Is this part of the reason you made some ungodly high compression pistons to make the head street friendly?...

ok, yea, Not sure what I was thinking. Just trying to figure it all out at once I guess.
Thanks for the info though cliff. On your setup you said you went to 5x20 at the same time you put the head on right? What size where you running before that you are using to compair how it has more smoke now than before?

I had 5x18's with bigger dv's and they are very comparable as far as smoke, but I had a major boost drop about 20lbs of boosta with the waste gate closed which tells me I gained a good bit.

Decking the block will have an effect on compression tho

You are correct but he was talking about a head that was decked :pop:

You need to address these issues.

Cam centerline
lash
piston protrusion before and after
head gasket thickness before and after
Injector depth before and after
injection pump timing before and after

Heres what I got so far for these answers. Cam center line. Was told you use the offset key that came with the cam. Therefor the cam shouldn't need measured.
Lash was set and will be rechecked.
was stock hd gasket, now 20 over.
Injector washers are the same now as they were before so the depth should be the same unless the Hami head is not same as stock.
Pump timing is same now as was before.
Not sure of the piston protrusion before vs now, still working on that.

The truck starts and idles fine. Nice and smooth, would it have a rough idle with low compression? I also noticed today that the when accelerating turbo will sometimes cough when it shifts like its under fueled with a big turbo. But its still smoking like crazy as it doing it so can't be under fueled. Also with 60 degree temps outside this morning it will not make heat unless you are sitting still. Once I start to move even getting in the throttle the gauge will go back down the whole way.

a couple of more bad videos after i got it back on the road tonight.. being that its almost to dark you cant tell how much it is really smoking..
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/Adam_Sprague/fummins/?action=view&current=photobucket-27250-1337318734306.mp4"]fummins :: 2012-05-17_20-23-07_24 video by Adam_Sprague - Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/Adam_Sprague/fummins/?action=view&current=photobucket-1800-1337318734307.mp4"]fummins :: 2012-05-17_20-23-46_702 video by Adam_Sprague - Photobucket[/ame]

You are correct but he was talking about a head that was decked :pop:

It would help if diesel guys would learn and use proper terms.
Blocks get decked and heads get surfaced.

Decking a block affects the deck height (center line of crankshaft to top of the block), therefore the term "decking".
Surfacing a head affects the heads sealing surface to the block, hence the term "surfacing"'

If you are unable or unwilling to verify all of the things listed, I would rather give you a refund than be forced to prove the issue is not with my head

So How do I get that refund?

you need to take a look at what you did, what you are essentially doing is building a race motor with a lot of non spec parts. you cant just throw it together and expect it to work, Having built alot of motors blueprinted motors work better than thrown together motors and there is a reason. dont assume anything you have to double check it all.

you will have to pull the head but all the questions you are being asked are important..

degreeing in a cam is essential in all hp motors.. a couple degrees either way is real bad.. its not hard and takes about an hour the first time...
How far down are the pistons, difference in compression ratio is huge..
where are the injectors at.. just think what the thin washers do to the 370 injectors..
timing.. 12v can and will slip timing. it happens.. easiest way is to have a tdc mark and borrow you local diesel tech's timing light..

If it were my guess you have the injectors to far away, but that is just a guess. you will not know untill you pull the head and check everything that has been suggested.. you may have just got a set of weird pistons. you never know if you dont check it..

Good luck, it is fixable don't get discouraged.. just have to figure out what it is doing.. and what is different..

from what I can find, diesels need swirl at part load operation for efficiency. the velocity in the intake ports is a big part of what dictates that swirl. make the ports and valves larger the velocity decreases and the flow potential increases. Means less swirl.
If you had the swirl reliefs cut like I did, thats about the same compression loss as a .020 gasket. thats even with more valve protrusion which raises compression too. Mine was 380psi before and after.
between the loss of compression and swirl it makes the low end smokey and laggy. Top end will be a hoot though! So its all in the balance of what you use the truck for. If you use this to haul heavy with, I bet it cools real nice.
If you want to keep the head, you could try a quickspool valve or a supercharger to pick up some low end, maybe.
I went into mine with the understanding that my build is out of the norm and the head would probably do something like this. Remember any head with ported intake would act like this the further from stock you go.
I think of this as an experiment.. top end power builds are all over the place. high stall converter, big turbo, nitrous and a ported head with thicker gasket or milled pistons.
I think this motor can make reasonable low end power too, without a huge sacrifice in top end or efficiency.

Last edited:
My 89 smoked a lot worse after the .020 over head gasket. Not horrible, but did notice that it went from no haze at idle, to a pretty constant stream of smoke. I would say that, combined with the large ports are making your truck super smokey. Can you take away any more low end fuel with a custom plate or something?

only thing you can do is reduce fueling or add air. I think injectors and DV's control base fueling at idle (?) not the afc tuning. Plate is involved in fueling once the AFC arm is out of the way (boost). I tried cranking my AFC down and the idle haze never went away but the off the line performance was way worse. smoke off the line was improved of course.
You can dial down the pre-boost fueling with the AFC, but at some point the performance will start to get worse.
twins or triples with small atmosphere turbo(s) could give you some gains maybe.

Lower compression does a few things, but two of the most important( for a daily driver) is lower cylinder pressure and the resulting drop in tempurature at TDC. Other factors like the fuel coming in contact with less oxygen since there is a greater volume at TDC all contribute to a less violent or slower flame-front, which would show itself as incomplete combustion at idle or haze.

Hey zach, whats your take on using a supercharger to overcome the issues of cyl pressure and intake velocity at idle and in the first third or so of the rev range?
If I could put air in the cyl at 5psi at idle, think that would be enough to raise temps and have more air to burn off that fuel?

I think that would make quite a difference in terms of actual heat and pressure that you would see at idle and help clear up the smoke. I have not messed with one, but I think it would do what you are wanting. Wait until I send you the new head without the pockets cut before you do it though.

Results/finds soon to come. Waiting on refunds, ect before I say what I found and voice an opinion one way or the other. Maybe even pics!!!

I tried and tried to tune the smoke away, it didn't work and once head was off It wasn't going to change it anyway with my finds. Still waiting on a refund for the head after taking it off over a month ago. I really hope to resolve all of this real soon. Stressing me out beyond belief. Once person tells me this another says this, who is lying I don't know. All I know is someone has my money that is owed back to me. ughhh

Back