Way to much smoke!!

I tried and tried to tune the smoke away, it didn't work and once head was off It wasn't going to change it anyway with my finds. Still waiting on a refund for the head after taking it off over a month ago. I really hope to resolve all of this real soon. Stressing me out beyond belief. Once person tells me this another says this, who is lying I don't know. All I know is someone has my money that is owed back to me. ughhh
What'd you find with the head off?

I dont think you can dial the smoke out with that head. Its just not ideal for part-load operation. If you race it, or dont care about the smoke, its probably great.
Only way out of it that I can think of is a supercharger + turbo setup like what turbolvr cooked up.
Im going back to a stock head, I doubt Ill be making the sort of HP numbers where Id need a ported head. Hopefully I dont have to eat those words later on.

piston.jpg

piston2.jpg

piston3.jpg

piston4.jpg

piston5.jpg

valveseal.jpg

valveseal2.jpg

valveseal3.jpg

valveseal4.jpg

96cummins6.jpg

Holy spray pattern Batman!

Something was either up with the build, or possibly the injector location off in the head. Glad I'm not the one that has to figure out which.

Leaky valve seal sucks, but wasn't causing the problem
IMHO
Chris

you may have already coverd it but what injectors were in there and what did they pop at? ( probably of no consequence, just wondering)

Injectors are from Contagious Diesel. They worked fine in the engine they were in before and they work fine now.
4 of the 6 exhaust seals leak. Don't know about the intake side, but I'm sure that atleast one leaked judging by the exhaust side.
The picture of the vavle cover gaskets are hard to tell but the gray one is the one used when it was rebuild. Told it was in the cummins rebuild kit. They are too big, you had to fight to get it on the cover. It was like they were laying in Gas, All stretched out and had that funny rubber feeling to them.

Does the cylinder finish seem a bit polished to anyone else??

Hard to tell, almost looks like there is crosshatching, but not in every picture??

Injectors are from Contagious Diesel. They worked fine in the engine they were in before and they work fine now.
4 of the 6 exhaust seals leak. Don't know about the intake side, but I'm sure that atleast one leaked judging by the exhaust side.
The picture of the vavle cover gaskets are hard to tell but the gray one is the one used when it was rebuild. Told it was in the cummins rebuild kit. They are too big, you had to fight to get it on the cover. It was like they were laying in Gas, All stretched out and had that funny rubber feeling to them.

Did you have the injectors checked? Popped? Anything? That spray pattern is either too wide for those pistons, or the injectors aren't deep enough. You have way too much fuel hitting the piston crown.

As far as valve cover gaskets...Cummins one's are gray, and they are a ***** it get on the valve cover usually. Once on there though, I've never had an issue with them. At least the last 50 or 60 we've put on here at the store.

Chris

What valve seals were you using? I read where a lot of guys dont even use the valve seals on the exhaust side, so how do they deal with the oil that runs down the stem?

No valve seals = smokey as hell. Had a few of the incorrect seals for my guides (guides are machined for top hat style) I tried once pop up off the valve guide and it hazed like crazy!!!

The injectors where bought new 6 months ago. Put in old engine and ran great. Put in new engine and ran like explained here. Put stock head back on truck and the regular injector washer and it runs like a champ again. Timing is at 18.
I don't know what vavle seals where use. Not sure if they where installed on the head at Hamilton or if they were installed by the shop that built engine.
Here is all I know. Truck was set up and ran like I've stated before. I took the Hamilton head of and returned it Thanks to Zach saying he would refund me for it. I had the old head tested, decked and cooked, Put it back on the truck with stock thickness hd gasket and stock thickness washer and truck runs Great!!! Am I blaming the Head? No.. Could it have been part of the problem? I really can't give an honest answer at this point. I put the truck back together and it runs great. Only changes made where stock head, stock gasket and stock injector washer, Same injectors and same pump timing.

They way I see it with the thin injector washer if you do all the math. The injectors where sitting down too far.

you may be displaying the symptoms and results of: too thick of a head gasket, injectors with the wrong cone angle, low compression, and perhaps more

Seeing as the truck has been back together for over a month now and runs like a champ ever since, i think I got it straightened out

Back