Way to much smoke!!

R.C.inc.

Had my engine rebuilt due to a cracked block. With the exception of a Hamilton head and 188/220 cam It was rebuilt with stock parts, except for what the engine already had with is only 5x14 injectors, ground plate, .022 Dv, 64/71/13 turbo. Timing 18* which is what the timing was at before if it was done correctly which I believe it was.
Before the rebuild it would smoke a little but I was able to keep it under controll unless I stood on it then it would smoke none stop at wot. Now the truck puffs at idle, and has a heavy haze when barely giving it any throttle. Pulling out from a stop or pulling a hill and you almost can't see the car behind you. Looks like it did before when I floored it but yet now I am hardly giving it any throttle. At a quarter or just over quarter throttle it will blow smoke like a train and hit 38psi. It will even blow smoke rings once in a while. I have yet to stomp on it due to letting it break in. I have turned the pre boost screw all the way out, turned the star wheel as far back as I can and even slid the plate full rear and it makes no difference at all. I can't find a boost leak and due to 38 psi at quarter throttle I don't think there is one to find. The afc has been turned back as far as I can. I don't understand where all the fuel is coming from. The pump was pulled off old engine and put on new one. It shouldn't have changed at all. With the new head and cam I would have thought it would clean up really good compaired to stock but I can't even drive normal without it smoking out an intersection. Driving down a straight away with no grade, holding steady a 2k it still smokes steady.
At a complete lose here, dont know what is going on. Any thoughts? Timing? Not the proper size injector washers for the injectors with the .20 over head gasket? I don't get it.

Last edited:
Aren't there other people running this head? I saw something about work stock guys getting busted running it. I mean wouldn't there be others having issues as well. The things are on back order from what I hear now, Who has all of them?

Aren't there other people running this head? I saw something about work stock guys getting busted running it. I mean wouldn't there be others having issues as well. The things are on back order from what I hear now, Who has all of them?
Yeah, you'd think he'd have some test units out.

Was there any machine work done to the head ? Like with Adams where it was decked 60 thou to get the valves unshrouded ? Sorry to hear this hope Zach chimes in and gives his opinion on whats wrong .

Last edited:
On Adams thread they are saying about the air swirl not being correct down low, ect. Even if that is the case why would it smoke at idle. I know that is down low but I mean come on. It can't burn that little bit of fuel??

With only having miles on the rebuild and wanting to torque it again. I haven't given it more than quarter throttle at this point. However I don't remember reading anyway that this head is for competition use. If I remember correctly it was designed to flow more air that stock, and moved the water jets so it can be truely ported properly. However I may be wrong.

But I did hold the truck in first gear and run it up to 4k to make sure the timing didn't slip down. It did go to 4k but it didn't seem to climb as fast as did before. However it smoked all the way to 4k

Back