2.6" smooth bore/slick face

The pulling season has pretty much come to an end. PPL says that they are looking at rule changes for the turbo concerning the MWE and also looking at making a change in the 2.6 hitch rule (I bet we will be getting our secondary hitches built this winter). According to this thread this is only the 2nd year of a "locked for 3 years" set of rules.

This info was sent to me in an email from ppl when I asked about rule changes for 2.6 in 2013, FYI.

So that being said, let's assume that they decide smooth bore is the way to go for 2013. Are all of you pullers with hx60s and big precisions ready to buy yet another turbo for next year after dropping $4k-$5k on your current model?

Discuss the real implications of this rule change......

Last edited:
The pulling season has pretty much come to an end. PPL says that they are looking at rule changes for the turbo concerning the MWE and also looking at making a change in the 2.6 hitch rule (I bet we will be getting our secondary hitches built this winter). According to this thread this is only the 2nd year of a "locked for 3 years" set of rules.

This info was sent to me in an email from ppl when I asked about rule changes for 2.6 in 2013, FYI.

So that being said, let's assume that they decide smooth bore is the way to go for 2013. Are all of you pullers with hx60s and big precisions ready to buy yet another turbo for next year after dropping $4k-$5k on your current model?

Either do that or budget $5000 a year for driveline. LOL

I am sure the folks who bought their Precisions/HX60's at the beginning of 2011, got more of their money back than the ones who bought them this year.

Be interesting to see where it goes, seems see more trucks for sale this year than in prior years.

Either do that or budget $5000 a year for driveline. LOL

I am sure the folks who bought their Precisions/HX60's at the beginning of 2011, got more of their money back than the ones who bought them this year.

Be interesting to see where it goes, seems see more trucks for sale this year than in prior years.

I am sure that the few trucks that had the hx60s in 2011 were more successful than the trucks in 2012. When I was looking at the competition at TS I assumed that 30 of the 42 trucks were either precision or hx60.

There are a lot of trucks for sale. What is the tipping point though. I know there were a lot of guys that had a hard time swallowing the $4500 this year to try and compete.

In my opinion this rule would have been great 2 years ago. It seems that there are other changes that could be made, IF the reason for the rule change is ONLY to save drivetrains.

It will be interesting. I just hope they decide sooner than later. We have an indoor in March using 2.6 ppl rules.

I am sure that the few trucks that had the hx60s in 2011 were more successful than the trucks in 2012. When I was looking at the competition at TS I assumed that 30 of the 42 trucks were either precision or hx60.

There are a lot of trucks for sale. What is the tipping point though. I know there were a lot of guys that had a hard time swallowing the $4500 this year to try and compete.

In my opinion this rule would have been great 2 years ago. It seems that there are other changes that could be made, IF the reason for the rule change is ONLY to save drivetrains.

It will be interesting. I just hope they decide sooner than later. We have an indoor in March using 2.6 ppl rules.

I don't know, it might have pulled too much power out? I mean the 3.0 guys have picked up probably 150HP or so the last couple years as well.

I personally think slick is the long term answer. If you change the map rule then all the top trucks change chargers to the latest one that bends the rule differently then next year we do it again. With slick face it will pull the class back closer together and put on a better show. The cheaper option is drop the duals then you cant hook it so make as much power as you want the best drivers will win then.

As far as 3.0 i say 3.4-3.6 slick or unlimited single. The Itpa and MO truck are 4.1 this year anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I personally think slick is the long term answer. If you change the map rule then all the top trucks change chargers to the latest one that bends the rule differently then next year we do it again. With slick face it will pull the class back closer together and put on a better show. The cheaper option is drop the duals then you cant hook it so make as much power as you want the best drivers will win then.

As far as 3.0 i say 3.4-3.6 slick or unlimited single. The Itpa and MO truck are 4.1 this year anyway.

I am curiuos how this SRW DOT tire would work. I agree it won't put as much power to the ground, but am curious about how big of gear folks will have to run to make it work, and then will that move the problem into the Tcase area or somewhere else?

What we found in 3.0 is you can only gear up so far before you blow the tires off so hard that it just wont hook up

The top trucks will continue to be the top trucks no matter what the rule. Instead of "bending the rules", why don't we refer to it as "taking full advantage of the rules". Bending sounds negative when in fact what they are doing is legal for everyone.

As far as pulling the class back together, Scheids finals 25 trucks ranging from 316.76 to 294.80 (25 trucks with in 22 ft) Top 10 within 7' of each other. I think there are a lot of organizations that would love to have 25 pullers that close.
Top 10 at Platte city, 16' and about 50' including everyone that make a complete hook

(For comparison 3.0 class was over 60' top to bottom, Mod class almost 70' top to bottom at scheids)

Last edited:
The top trucks will continue to be the top trucks no matter what the rule. Instead of "bending the rules", why don't we refer to it as "taking full advantage of the rules". Bending sounds negative when in fact what they are doing is legal for everyone.

As far as pulling the class back together, Scheids finals 25 trucks ranging from 316.76 to 294.80 (25 trucks with in 22 ft) Top 10 within 7' of each other. I think there are a lot of organizations that would love to have 25 pullers that close.
Top 10 at Platte city, 16' and about 50' including everyone that make a complete hook

(For comparison 3.0 class was over 60' top to bottom, Mod class almost 70' top to bottom at scheids)

That would be us:lolly: was still fun

If we go 2.6 slick face, then how far will we be ahead of the current 2.5 rules that many orgs have? Since basically everyone has spent big money on turbos to meet the rules, I don't think it would be in the best interest of the majority of pullers to change them. I have heard talk of going to a single tire rule and maybe 24" hitch

If we go 2.6 slick face, then how far will we be ahead of the current 2.5 rules that many orgs have? Since basically everyone has spent big money on turbos to meet the rules, I don't think it would be in the best interest of the majority of pullers to change them. I have heard talk of going to a single tire rule and maybe 24" hitch

There was no indication of tires or hitch height from ppl to me, although I would be ok with that.

My question is who has more pull with the ppl, the pullers or the manufacturers?

If it did happen to go smoothbore 2.6 and 3.0 how many 2.6 trucks are gonna jump up to 3.0.

I think they are considering turbo rules similar to b.o.b. and cotpc to try and bring the power down some. (requiring the map groove be located behind the clipped face of the wheel). Not a smooth bore rule.

As far as the hitch goes look for 24" max instead of 26" to try and cut back on some of the carnage.

The email said they were looking at changing the hih rule to eliminate some of the confusion with the reece rule. Also said to be more like 3.0. Not saying it wont lower but it doesn't seem to be the main concern.

PPL needs to state the MWE's location must be placed behind the stepped portion of the wheel. If they had followed suit this year, it would have saved a lot of HX60's @ Scheid.

I like the idea of a single tire limit, but I doubt it happens this year, I agree with looking at a 2" drop in hitch height for the interim.

If you looked at 2.6 trucks at schieds there were a lot of drawbar hitches with a square weld to the end to make it reese style and I think they are just tired of teching it.

With times the way they are now, I think the more rule changes they make now, the more trucks that are going to get parked. Let's face it people are just staying home more and not traveling at $4 + per gallon. I know plenty of trucks that got parked this year due to it and I just do not think that telling someone to spend another $1000+ or more on another turbo is going to get more trucks out to the pulls. If dropping the hitch height and/or dropping the rear duals does the trick that would be much better IMO.

If there is a bunch of people who do not want to pull in the current 2.6" class why not move them down to the 2.5" class? Seems to me there are lots of the big charger 2.6" trucks already out and running the last few years so it's a little late to stop it now.

Just a thought, lowering the hitch 2 inches will load the front harder...........

They ran a 2.6 around here at 22" with hanging weight and had 0 front end problems. Really is a mute point in my opinion

Back