Food for thought for a quiet exhaust.

After years of having loud trucks with stacks I'm over it, I think I'm growing old as far as trucks go LOL.

I have a 05 qclb with manual trans. Right now it is all stock except the muffler is gone. It still has the cat. Converter on it. To me it sounds bone stock even with the windows down. I like the noise with the windows down but when I need to make a phone call or talk to the wife and kids I don't want that annoying ass drone. I want to take the cat off. Would a 4 or 5 inch with a resanator be the best of both worlds?

I was running a 30" FTE resonator and a Magnaflow muffler and while it was quiet I felt I could knock it down another notch so on another members recommendation I swapped in a Hushpower muffler. It was well worth the effort. This thing is as quiet as my old stock 06 Dodge was.

I know...y'all want it loud. One y'all will be old like me and you'll change your minds. LOL
When you do...remember this thread.
If I can get a 5" system with twin dumps pointing at the ground quiet then anything can be made quiet.

Queit? But didnt you just put large amps and various speakers in your truck? Amps and low music volume usually dont go hand in hand. LOL

Just giving you a hard time.

To back up the other claims in this post:

5" Hushpower is the ONLY muffler to use in my opinion. Other than adding an additional turbo, it is the only way to limit (not eliminate) the drone you'll get in a CR Dodge. In fact, I have compounds and a Hushpower and the sound is liveable for my 1 -2 hour commutes. The Interco STS make more noise than the exhaust and end up being the main contributor to long trip annoyance. I ran a Dynomax Bullet for a while and it didn't do a whole lot other than look like a muffler. For those of you who understand fluid flow, you'll also understand that the HP won't hamper flow based on its construction (venturi). Other than being a bit more expensive than the other options (sans stack auger inserts from Grand Rock - those will set you back $300 - $400 each) the Hushpower can't be beat.

Last edited:
here is a quick before and after muffler.

before. 4" straight to shorty 5" stack.

[ame="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SSpeeDEMONSS/?action=view&current=P5190363.mp4"]P5190363.mp4 video by SSpeeDEMONSS - Photobucket[/ame]

after. 4" to 4" in and out muffler to 4" turnout right on top of muffler.

[ame="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SSpeeDEMONSS/?action=view&current=P5190364.mp4"]P5190364.mp4 video by SSpeeDEMONSS - Photobucket[/ame]

Garrett

I think I'm sold..... The LMM is due for a bit of an attitude adjustment!! More HP's, Built trans and a old man muffler!!!!

Queit? But didnt you just put large amps and various speakers in your truck? Amps and low music volume usually dont go hand in hand. LOL

Just giving you a hard time.

High end doesn't = loud. LOL

It'll get plenty loud...but I wanna hear details and I couldn't before I started trying out the different exhaust crap.
I was pretty happy with the FTE and Magnaflow....now with the FTE and Hushpower I honestly don't think I can find a better combo.

High end doesn't = loud. LOL

It'll get plenty loud...but I wanna hear details and I couldn't before I started trying out the different exhaust crap.
I was pretty happy with the FTE and Magnaflow....now with the FTE and Hushpower I honestly don't think I can find a better combo.

two fte's in a row!!!?!?!?!!?!

just kidding.LOL

For those of you who understand fluid flow, you'll also understand that the HP won't hamper flow based on its construction (venturi).

wut? There isnt a venturi in there - just two back to back cones, in addition to the standard perforated-core glass-pack design.... the exhaust energy gets additional dissipation passing through each perforated section on top of the absorbtion from the glass packing, the reason it doesnt hinder the flow rate as much is because they have chosen an adequate total cross sectional flow area in the two perforated cones.

no venturi:
hushpower-dbx-muffler-schematic.jpg

venturi:
Donaldson_silent_partner_muffler.jpg

two fte's in a row!!!?!?!?!!?!

just kidding.LOL

wut? There isnt a venturi in there - just two back to back cones, in addition to the standard perforated-core glass-pack design.... the exhaust energy gets additional dissipation passing through each perforated section on top of the absorbtion from the glass packing, the reason it doesnt hinder the flow rate as much is because they have chosen an adequate total cross sectional flow area in the two perforated cones.

no venturi:
hushpower-dbx-muffler-schematic.jpg

venturi:
Donaldson_silent_partner_muffler.jpg

Corrected - I guess I should've paid a bit more attention to the cross section of the HP! I hadn't noticed before that the area between the two cones was close off.

However, I'd argue labeling Donaldson's core as a venturi. As shown in their cross section, there is a bell mouth in front of an expanding cone. Great for flow yes, but not a classic venturi.

I just deleted my muffler. These trucks with straight pipes are EPIC. Phuck the law.

I just deleted my muffler. These trucks with straight pipes are EPIC. Phuck the law.

Yes, but the noise in the cab gets old after 20 hours of driving, or when you're trying to sleep and it wakes you up

sent from my phone

Epic?
You must not have a common rail.
Straight piped 3rd gens are the worst splatter fart sounding sh!t on the planet.

I have the FTE resonator and the FTE muffler on my 98 12 valve. Very happy, wouldn't change it

Nope, second gen. I should probably change my sig. I actually don't notice it inside the cab at all. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't keep it quite no matter what. That and I don't care for the noise when its idling, especially at 5am. haha Whatever, people can sleep when their dead!!

Back