Gap in classes???

puting an index on classes sucks, you know what, leave the classes alone for one more year seeing how there were more trucks in the parking lot than there were racing, come out have fun and lets see what happens next year

Shawn, have you raced index much? Heads up is cool, but index on diesels(without throttle stops or limiters) is cool also. Might save equipment (if set sanely) and allow the driver to win the race, not the most money. I also didn't like the idea, until I started winning $$$ in index racing. Truck set-up and driver reaction are key. Let the best driver win, not the most money...

Shawn, have you raced index much? Heads up is cool, but index on diesels(without throttle stops or limiters) is cool also. Might save equipment (if set sanely) and allow the driver to win the race, not the most money. I also didn't like the idea, until I started winning $$$ in index racing. Truck set-up and driver reaction are key. Let the best driver win, not the most money...
C'mon Rob, there's no need for an objective opinion here... all you need is a me-me-me attitude. :hehe:

I must say I figured a 12.00 index would be boring until I ran it once. With no delay box electronics, it is a driver's game.

They were apparently running Top Dragster, which is basically a fast bracket class with a qualified field. They run flat out to qualify, then it becomes a regular dial-in ET Bracket race after that. It's been a crowd favorite around here, watching side-by-side 6-second passes at a bracket race. They run that class along with the doorslammer version (Top Sportsman) at all the Lucas Oil divisional races, and they are adding them to select national events next year. It's a perfect place to run a really fast diesel (like Scheid or Banks). IIRC, it usually takes a low 7-second pass to qualify in T/D, and a low 8-second pass to qualify in T/S.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

You know that may be an answer to the superstreet or pro-1 bracket class for NHRDA.

Brandon,

I agree. That would be a great solution for SuperStreet. The only thing I would add would be some kind of minimum spread like say 2.0 sec. Meaning, everyone can qualify, but any matchups in eliminations with a dial-in difference greater than 2.0 sec results in an automatic win for the faster time. This way people can still get points for qualifying and a round loss, but you won't have 14 sec. trucks burning down 10 sec. trucks.

This thread is going good and we are taking in everyones opinion. We will review everything and have a decision in Decembe

Still the biggest thing is getting more trucks to events whether it be NHRDA or NADM it is hard for organizations to make more classes when we are not filling up current classes at events. Trucks bring spectators , spectators bring sponsor and sponsors bring money. :blahblah1: I know it has been said before but it is true

Brandon,

I agree. That would be a great solution for SuperStreet. The only thing I would add would be some kind of minimum spread like say 2.0 sec. Meaning, everyone can qualify, but any matchups in eliminations with a dial-in difference greater than 2.0 sec results in an automatic win for the faster time. This way people can still get points for qualifying and a round loss, but you won't have 14 sec. trucks burning down 10 sec. trucks.

Greg,
I think they address that with T/D and T/S by using a different ladder - in a 32 car field they have #1 race #17, #2 race #18, etc, which is better than the standard #1 racing #32. There will still be some handicaps, but they are smaller that way.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Sounds confusing!
I feel that a 11.99/12.0 index would be a large field atracting some of the faster brackets( old pro 1 folks) along with the current SS folks. it should be the second biggest class!

A 12.0 bracket class worked for the DHRA and has been working fine for the NADM. I don't see how adding that class would hurt.

Why was a 6000# weight limit used for superstreet instead of 6500?

We do need to act pretty quick if there are going to be rule changes as I personally know of at least three more builds that are just getting started and knowing the rules is paramount to which trannies are going to be used.

More of a bump than anything, but.....

Yeah I have a truck in the driveway, a few go-fast parts laying around, and a wallet that would really like to know what to do.

I'll lay my cards out here:

I have an 03 Duramax reg. cab 4x4 that is going to run faster than brackets. Will I drive it on the street? No. Already have a truck for that and have raced it brackets. More fun for me to trailer a "race truck", whatever it may be, and not have to worry about getting home if it goes south.

It's not going to be a 9 second truck. More like 10.5 and try and hold it together. What I want to do with it is race in whatever NHRDA class it will be competitive in, go fast a Fri/Sat night fun drags, and bracket race with the gassers too. I love racing NHRDA, but spending all the time and $$$ on a truck for a few events a year is not where it's all at for me.

That being said, I have been thinking about putting a Duraflite in it just because it seems like a good drag trans for us Chevy guys. No learning, could change tunes on the fly to run different classes without it freaking out. Consistant/fast shifts blah blah blah.

If possible, it'd be good to know if this is going to work or not for NHRDA sooner rather than later. I'll run whatever, just trying to build a truck I can have the most fun with racing NHRDA and otherwise.

This is really a tough deal to make these classes. Not enough 10 second and faster trucks to really decide. We could all end up in our own classes racing ourselves. At least we'd all win LOL

I know that Randy hates index racing but the points that Michael and Greg makes are good ones. I'd rather see all out qualifying and have to be 11.99 or faster to qualify then start messing around with weights, trannies etc. That way the most money spent on your truck doesn't rule who will win as it mostly does in heads up racing. Randy also make a good point that the fastest truck doesn't always win. Rob won Pro street in Billings and both Prostreet and Superstreet in Bremerton with his street truck, when the fast trucks, (Max'd Out in Bremerton) broke. I think the number of trucks who would race in Superstreet would increase a lot if we had this approach. It's no fun racing yourself or a truck that is way slower, this would level the playing field and still have fast racing.

If we keep it as is then as much as I don't like it, weight increase to 6500 for all trucks 2 wheel drive included would probably be ok. I don't see giving a 500 lb weight advantage to 2 wheel drive trucks especially with the DOT tires that are available that are nothing more than slicks with a couple of groves in them. I do think if you make a rule for trannies then you should run one that was originally an OEM by one of the truck makes, but not necessarily the original one for that truck. That is my self serving statement since we run a dodge tranny in our dmax.:D

I'd also like to know ASAP as I may put a built engine in my daily driver if the rules change much. Would be a 11.5 truck.

Hopefully the Max'd out truck doesn't end up in no mans land, too heavy to compete with the fastest trucks in pro street, but too light/fast for the super street class. Most likely add weight and tune it down to race NHRDA if the need arises.

If it comes to bracket racing it, then the power will be turned down for sure. Parts wear/breakage at 10.0 or faster will not allow for much bracket racing.

I'll race something though and make it fit within the rules.

I would like to stay away from the OEM trans, etc. rule too. Not because it also may be self-serving for me (might be). But because when you get to a certain point, being concerned with OEM is kind of silly in my opinion.

Just my opinion, I'll roll with whatever.

I'd also like to know ASAP as I may put a built engine in my daily driver if the rules change much. Would be a 11.5 truck.

Hopefully the Max'd out truck doesn't end up in no mans land, too heavy to compete with the fastest trucks in pro street, but too light/fast for the super street class. Most likely add weight and tune it down to race NHRDA if the need arises.

If it comes to bracket racing it, then the power will be turned down for sure. Parts wear/breakage at 10.0 or faster will not allow for much bracket racing.I'll race something though and make it fit within the rules.

X2 , i am not going to run all out every event in a bracket scenerio more tha likely i would run low 11's , just fast enough to be fun and pretty easy on parts . My build is under way also and would like some answers soon , I have alot of ideas i am considering either way the rules go .

Thanks for everyones input and we will be reviewing the classes and should have an answer in November on our decisions. Again we want to thank everyone for the input and will take all suggestions into consideration.

We are off to SEMA to meet with sponsors and racetracks and then we will get on the classes and rules.

Thanks for a great year in 2009 and also for helping the NHRDA set records in new membership and spectator attendance and exposing the sport we love to over 30 million people in 2009. :cheer:

Maybe what we should do is combine the prostreet and superstreet classes into one class in the middle, say minimum weight in the 5250 lb range and slicks allowed. Could then have a Superstreet heads up class at 6500 lbs, with no slicks. I think most of the current fast Superstreet trucks could make that weight, with a little work.

Back