Scheid 5k gsk who's running them?

I agree on the power curve but if u can turn the RPM u will b faster in the 1/4 time wise but yr MPH will b low , I'v seen this lots of times when cars run low 11s and there mph is like 112 to 115 in a 3000lb car

agree

I agree on the power curve but if u can turn the RPM u will b faster in the 1/4 time wise but yr MPH will b low , I'v seen this lots of times when cars run low 11s and there mph is like 112 to 115 in a 3000lb car

I agree, hints the 10.8x's at only 118mph, 10.8x's would prob. be in the high 120's or low 130's. But if super high egt's wouldnt have been a major prob. i would have loved to try to see how quick i could get the 1/4 numbers but still only have the 118mph. Like in the 1/8th when i was gear bound with the 4k setup, i had ran as slow as 7.8's at 102 and with better traction run a 6.8 still at 102, it was just how quick could i get up to that 102mph. With the current 5k's its going 6.7's but at only 99mph, and all the ealy numbers are suffering also. Come on CDS!:cheer:

Let us know how the CDS springs work out. I may eventually throw a 5k in mine.

Eric

We'll do Eric, if it will really turn 5k id have to go back to a 1/4 mile track to utilize it but im looking to get my bottom end back and pull hard through the 1/8th. I will post my findings after the next weekend. I like the idea of being able to adj the gov. set through the top, when im in there replacing this next set i'll make a tool for it rather than having to remove the sol. and chance loosing that tiny shaft key, and leaking oil every time. Thanks again for that info!
Ryan

Yes sir. Oil pan was put on by cummins in 1997, never been off since. "Knock on wood". Now ive lowered the static comp. with the .20 cummins gasket, so from what ive read, im around 15:1 rather than 17.5:1. And i did the valve job and all port work myself. Seems to work well, so damn hot though...ive thought about going back and give the 181's a go again, ive ran just as quick with them.

Damn, didn't know the stock shortblock was capable of that rpm!!!

I thought the Pull guys run more than that every time out on stock short blocks? Some leave at 5k+ and hold that all the way down a 250' or more track, 4400 is as tight as mines been yet.
Ryan

Damn, these kind of posts are making me feel better and better about my stock shortblock lol!!!

I know of a guy with a 99 stock short block, ag pump and at the brush pulls he said we would leave the line at 5500+

I'm hoping mine will live around 5K its been 4500 a few times , but Im playing russian roulette with modded stock springs

Which springs?

I'm hoping mine will live around 5K its been 4500 a few times , but Im playing russian roulette with modded stock springs

Not sure if your talking valve springs or surly not Gov. springs? I wouldnt turn stock valve springs to 4500 for sure, and not sure what kind of rpm could be had from some serious over tightened stock gov. springs. I had read of others getting 4500 from a set of tight 4k's though..

Yeah Stock valve springs , I got my GVs pretty tight about 4500 is it well I dont try to go past that lets just say

Well the CDS's are already here, they look good, only 2 springs per side as others have said, the middle spring is a beefy thing for sure to take place of the other 2 not used. Kit says to reuse the .020 wair shim and the .020 idle shim, i hope both of these are still under the bottom seat, ive been through enough of them i dont remember. Also instructions call for 1 soft click and 5 hard clicks, sounds tight on the idle spring, is this where others started also? I'll get them in this evening sometime.

Just came in from installing them, they are the smoothest at idle yet, no more chop, chop, chop. I removed the big shim under the bottom seat and it measured .020 like the directions said, i had to go back to my 4k kit to get the large idle spring shim that it called to reuse. It was .012" thick not the .020 that the directions said,?, i used it and set them up per intructions to 1 soft and 5 hard clicks. They feel to me that they need to be loosened up maybe 1 though, the idle screw is all the way out to be about right, it might could even stand to idle 50rpm lower. They seem very responsive on the bottom end just by bliping the throttle, BUT thier the worst as far as cranking. This set ' will not fire ' with out giving it some pedal then it cranks nice and quick, the 5k's i pulled out were not to bad at maybe 3 seconds of cranking before it fired, but the ones before it busted off soon as the engine turned over any. The diff. springs really play a big role in this. I did take the time and made a tool to adj the springs from the top, i will leave it the way it is and make a pass, then take 1-2 out of it and see the diff. in cranking and e.t.'s

That's the caveat to big RPM spring- you'll likely have to give some pedal cranking. A small loss for the gain realized.

That's the caveat to big RPM spring- you'll likely have to give some pedal cranking. A small loss for the gain realized.

If thats the case, i agree. But i didnt get a chance to tune on them at the track, i planed to make a pass and take 2 hard clicks out of it and see what she did. BUT.....i had to go out and put a tad more fuel and juice to her and broke on the first pass..... heck first foot. Pushed the pinion support out, sheared all the teeth of the pinion and many off the ring gear. It leaft Hard. The convertors continuing to loosen up allowing more rpm and boost with the foot brake. I expected big numbers last night, sure hated to brake so early, many new people at the track came just to see it run and let them down......
It was a Ford gear though... looks like i need to step up and load up some Pro Gears in that strage case and a better pinion support. I had also borrowed a set of alum. front runners and tires, this shaved 78 lbs off the unsprung front weight, only thing is if it would have had more rolling resistance? The 10 plys i had been running were always aired up to 80lbs, and this others called for 35 so i put 40 in them and they looked like they were really low on air [heavy ass cummins]... so i dont know, i wanted to see what diff. that would have made, ive read where its a 4:1 in other words shaving a 100 lbs of unsprung weight is equal to loosing 400 of sprung weight? And didnt get to see how the CDS springs did.... that really got me. Try again later. Ryan

Well at least you got em in. Let us know how it does when you get it back together.:woohoo:

Eric

Back