Thailand Diesel Finals 2012...

They should probably order an SFI chassis book ( http://www.sfifoundation.com/ ) and have a chassis inspection arranged for shortly after they land. Being that it is a tube chassis normal nhra cages specs do not apply.

The rebuild they need to do will likely cost as much as the shipping quote you provided. Not only that but they should get an NHRA rule book as well, and go over the safety items required, and the time frames they are valid for. Building a race vehicle that is quicker then 8.50 and will meet NHRA/SFI safety is a very costly endeavour.

Thanks for that information. I reviewed the pictures they sent me of the chassis and tubing with Michael Pliska and found some of the specs online. I'm sure that their chassis currently wouldnt meet spec. I had planned on having it certified in Houston shortly after it arrived.

The difficulty they have is that in Thailand their are no sanctioning bodies like the NHRA, IHRA or ruling bodies like SFI to set the ground rules and requirements there. The driver is licensed to drive the race vehicle but I am not sure what that process involves.

I'll probably pursue seeing if any of the governing bodies here or chassis builders would be interested in developing a program to help these guys build their cars the correct and safe way.

ok after a stagnant period here is where we are sitting.

The chassis will not pass cert, that is with out a doubt so the truck will not be allowed to even make any exhibition passes.

I am developing a compromise that will involve an "outlaw" track within reasonable distance from Ennis.

The plan is to display the truck at the World Finals in Ennis on Sept. 28th possibly enter the burnout competition. Let people see it.

Then Sunday the 29th I'm working on arranging track time on a different track for the truck to run. I will also be pursuing the magazines to feature the truck and invite any and all diesel racers and spectators from the World Finals to come watch and race.

Is this the optimal situation, no.... But a lot of people want to see this truck run!

As far as the finances, they have all obtained their green light for travel to the US, they will also be arranging air freight of the truck to and from the US.

I'll have to pick up transport once in the states, room/board, and a few other misc costs.

New Update:

They are rebuilding the entire chassis to spec!!!

I bought and sent the SFI book to them and they are currently rebuilding the entire truck from scratch with the correct bends and tubing to pass chassis cert!

Its on now!

ThaiBanner_zpsbfc92df1.jpg

WOW! A 4 cylinder diesel that could beat most rigs in our country... I sure hope this race happens.

WOW! A 4 cylinder diesel that could beat most rigs in our country... I sure hope this race happens.

Their plane tickets are booked including air freighting the truck over!!

they should be performing a few exhibition passes and I'd like to set up a grudge match against other trucks in the same class IE: The dirtymax, cumstang, etc... if everything goes well , there is time after the event, and no one breaks of course!

Set up a race with Wade.

What ever pans out will happen. I'm not putting a whole lot into the grudge matches but it would be nice to see.

They found some money rather quickly, I must say.

They probably had the money the whole time. They were very tight lipped about what they were able to afford before their visas were aproved and before the decision to rebuild the entire car.

Back