Soundproofing a 2nd gen

I only wanted to do this once and done the proper way.
Compared to what I've seen people pay for soundproofing, I thought it was quite reasonable.

That's quite a bit out of my price range... I'd hope for that much it's quieter than a Cadillac.

fatmat and ez cool insulation... then buy mass loaded vinyl if you want from any other source...
you will be out less than 300.
but for the most part the sound deadener will make the most difference to the average guy.

As the OP of this thread I feel inclined to add that 600 is out of my price range for this project. Was trying to keep it under 200... I'm not looking for Cadillac like insulation...

Looks like fat mat is the way I'm going to go...

Curious to see how the $600 package deals with turbo noise. I love the sound of a turbo but after an hour on the road pulling it starts to get to you. And that is a lot of money but if I could get my truck quiet enough to where my kids didn't have to yell so I could hear them it would be worth it.

It's not expensive at all, and Don is one of the best guys you could deal with, period.

$600 before shipping

Not exactly my definition of "not expensive at all". :umno:

I'm not a cheap guy, I will buy something expensive of high quality before I will buy something cheap and low quality. But I think there are other alternatives that cost much less that are still high quality.

I did a lot of soundproofing back when I was doing car audio stuff and I can tell you there's no cheap way to do good soundproofing you can do soundproofing cheap but it will be far less effective. What he did was a full multi system approach rather than just throw one product on. It may be overkill for most it just depends on how quiet you are trying to make it. A12 valve a noisy beast to try and tame If you want to make it as quiet as a newer trucks you have to put a lot of work into it

Not exactly my definition of "not expensive at all". :umno:

I'm not a cheap guy, I will buy something expensive of high quality before I will buy something cheap and low quality. But I think there are other alternatives that cost much less that are still high quality.

Ok, the dude that posted $600 went overkill as phuck (not hatin, I was on a budget). I did my X-Cab 2nd gen for $300 with exactly what Don recommended. (CLD, CCF,MLV). Could not be happier.

Ok, the dude that posted $600 went overkill as phuck (not hatin, I was on a budget). I did my X-Cab 2nd gen for $300 with exactly what Don recommended. (CLD, CCF,MLV). Could not be happier.

Did it eliminate the turbo noise. I sent him an Email on Monday and still have not gotten a response

He's gotta be out of town or something. He usually responds in 10 minutes.

Also, I wasn't expecting a miracle. The 12v is a loud motor, period, and these trucks aren't that well built/sealed. It ain't gonna be like a Cadillac in there, no matter what you do. And the turbo noise question is situational..,mine is loud as phuck. It really depends on your setup. If you're running a 3b on the bottom, for example, you'll hear that bastard no matter what.

Last edited:
I am just looking at quieting down my 6.0 engine noise,, shouldnt be too big of a task

I am just looking at quieting down my 6.0 engine noise,, shouldnt be too big of a task

True. Ford builds a damn good (and quiet) truck, and Strokes are quiet going down the road. You just need to quiet down that rattle at idle.

well the 6.0 is definately a lot louder than my 6.4,, but still way quieter than a 12 or 24 valve

To be honest, i took the car out tonight, with full exhaust no longer rattling, no mufflers and with windows up. I could talk on the phone, and i couldnt hear the engine unless i was on it or at idle..
That its with just fatmat and nice carpet... Nothing else
I am thoroughly happy with it now.. I don't know how much better it could Possibly get.

To be honest, i took the car out tonight, with full exhaust no longer rattling, no mufflers and with windows up. I could talk on the phone, and i couldnt hear the engine unless i was on it or at idle..
That its with just fatmat and nice carpet... Nothing else
I am thoroughly happy with it now.. I don't know how much better it could Possibly get.

We need a video in the cab while at ie and cruising on the highway!!!!!!!!

I wish i had before and after... That way you guys can really tell! I will try to remember when i take it out next

Back